Monday, September 12, 2011

Hestur, Handbells, and Hummus

Time to catch up on a busy weekend!

This Saturday was our hike to nearby Mt. Hestur (about 750 ft. high, pretty significant for Iceland). We walked for about 2 miles on the road before reaching the base, and encountered some Icelandic sheep, horses, and a dog along the way.



A "home person" named Sigi accompanied us to the bottom of Mt. Hestur. Although it is hard for him to walk on his bad hip, he feels like he is our guardian and looks forward to taking us to the mountain each year. He is very sweet and speaks pretty good English, but he talks fast so you have to keep up with the conversation!

As we began to climb the mountain, it was clear there was no defined trail. I was fine until we started leaning into the hill and rocks began to move a bit beneath my feet. There was also a bit of exposure (distance to fall downslope before being caught/able to stop on something) and the view looking down began to get me nervous. I am still pretty afraid of heights, so it was a little embarrassing for me to ask the professors if I could turn back while the rest of the group was happily scrambling up the mountain. Fortunately, they were very understanding and my professor Karin stayed behind with me. We ended up having a lot of fun together and enjoyed a good conversation. Once the group began their descent, Sigi decided he wanted to get a head start going back down the road. He took hold of my hand and I helped him walk for a few hundred yards down the rocky lane. At first it was a little strange, but I could see the appreciation and gratefulness in his eyes as I helped him walk. When we stopped to take a break, he told me I was his best friend and that he would someday some to the States to visit me. Although I know he won't, it was one of the most sincere thank-you's I've ever gotten.

Mt. Hestur

The Northern Lights showed themselves in all their glory on Saturday night. While soaking in the hot tub with four other classmates, we were amazed to look up and see a streak of the Lights shooting in the sky right over the pool. First they were bright green. Then they would begin to spiral and dance around the sky, turning white then an intense hot pink before turning back to green again. We all stared at the sky for at least twenty minutes in wonder. The only words we exchanged were "Wow!" and "Incredible"! If I never see the Northern Lights again, I will not feel cheated at all. They were truly amazing.

Sunday afternoon I went to the church service in Solheimar with my two professors Hank and Karin. Though the whole service was in Icelandic, I enjoyed people watching and trying to hum along with the music. The best part of the service was a visiting handbell choir made up people with all sorts of disabilities. They stood in a semicircle, with the teacher standing in the middle. As she gestured to a person, they would ring their bell. Though the music was very simple, it was so moving to watch these people make beautiful music with such joy. I was nearly brought to tears.

The reference to hummus was related to the homemade hummus that we made in the food processor! Yum! We also made popcorn the old-fashioned way last night and had a girl's movie night in the living room. Very fun.

Gotta run! Eggplant Parmesan for dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment