Friday, September 9, 2011

A Nap in the Prairie

Today has been a great "school day". I can hardly believe I'm getting credit for all of this sometimes (I assure you though, I am learning so much).

Today, Friday, began with our usual morning meeting with all the community members. We hold hands, stand in a circle, spend a few moments in silence, then sing the morning song to greet the day. It's a very powerful and grounding time here... also fun to hear all the announcements for the day in Icelandic and try to pick up a few phrases. We then headed back to the house, baked some oatmeal raisin cookies for our open house tonight, and had vegetable crepe/pancakes/egg rolls for lunch.

This afternoon was beautiful. We've had two continuous days of sunshine and clear skies (a rare phenomenon here!). It's been a little windy and chilly (in the 40s), but it's pleasant to be outside. We took a little hike down the road to a path along a creek. From there, we all split up and spent 30 minutes sitting by ourselves in the prairie there. It was incredibly humbling, to be laying in the grasses, just listening to the wind move through the plants and realizing how small I am within the complexities and wonders of creation. I was so relaxed that I did fall asleep for a bit, and awoke to my professor Karin ringing a cowbell to call us back together.

 The view from my nap spot

I'm still alive and well!

After that, we headed back to our house for a talk about energy-efficient food (appropriately set around the dinner table). Dinner was tasty... bean soup and bread. I am eating healthier here than ever before! This evening was a highlight though. We served cookies, rhubarb tarts, and a chocolate cake along with coffee and had invited all the community members over for conversation and company. I spoke with a few interns and staff, but really enjoyed my time with the "home people" (disabled) who came. One lady called Honey spent a half hour with me telling me about her family, her life at Solheimar, and teaching me lots of Icelandic vocabulary (earlobe, twenty-seven, sock, etc.). 
Tomorrow we will hike nearby Mt. Hestur (Horse Mountain) with a resident named Siggy. More on that this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment